Monday, April 12, 2010
Texas Samsung Mobile 500 Odds & Ends
compiled by Mike Forde
NASCAR Media Services
· Construction began in 1995.
· The first NASCAR race was a NASCAR Nationwide Series event on April 5, 1997.
· The first NASCAR Sprint Cup race was on April 6, 1997.
· There have been 18 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races at Texas Motor Speedway, one per season from 1997 through 2004 and two races per year since 2005.
· Four drivers have competed in all 18 Texas races: Jeff Burton, Jeff Gordon, Bobby Labonte and Mark Martin.
· Jeremy Mayfield was the first pole winner, in 1998. Qualifying for the inaugural race in 1997 was canceled.
· Jeff Burton won the first NASCAR Sprint Cup race.
· 12 drivers have scored poles, led by Dale Earnhardt Jr., Bobby Labonte, Ryan Newman and Jeff Gordon with two.
· 15 drivers have won races, led by Carl Edwards, with three. Jeff Gordon won at Texas for the first time, last season. Gordon has won at every track he has run except Homestead-Miami Speedway.
· 14 of 18 races have been won from a top-10 starting position. Only one has been won from the pole (Kasey Kahne in 2006).
· Matt Kenseth started 31st en route to his victory at Texas in 2002, the deepest in the field that a race winner has started.
· Both Jeff Burton (1999) and Dale Earnhardt Jr. (2000) scored their first NASCAR Sprint Cup Series win at Texas.
· Five of the last seven races have had a margin of victory under one second.
· Matt Kenseth (9.3) is the only active driver to average a top-10 finish.
· Roush Fenway Racing leads all owners in victories, with seven. Hendrick Motorsports is second, with three wins.
· There has been one season sweep, by Carl Edwards in 2008. Edwards is looking to break a 43-race winless drought.
NASCAR in Texas
* There have been 27 NASCAR Sprint Cup races in Texas.
* 72 drivers in NASCAR’s three national series (all-time) have their home state recorded as Texas.
* There have been seven race winners from Texas in NASCAR’s three national series:
Race #: 8 of 35 (4-18-10)
Track Size: 1.5 miles
Race Length: 501 miles
· Banking/corners: 24 degrees
· Banking/straights: 5 degrees
· Frontstretch: 2,250 feet
· Backstretch: 1,330 feet
Driver Rating at Texas
Tony Stewart 106.1
Matt Kenseth 105.0
Carl Edwards 99.7
Kyle Busch 98.6
Jimmie Johnson 96.1
Denny Hamlin 95.6
Greg Biffle 95.4
Dale Earnhardt Jr. 94.4
Kurt Busch 93.8
Jeff Gordon 91.4
Note: Driver Rating compiled from 2005-2009 races (10 total) at Texas.
* 2009 pole winner: David Reutimann (190.517 mph, 28.344 secs.)
* 2009 race winner: Jeff Gordon, 146.372 mph, 4-5-09)
* Track qualifying record: Brian Vickers (196.235 mph, 27.518 seconds, 11-3-06)
* Track race record: Carl Edwards (151.055 mph, 11-6-05)
Pit Window: Every 50-55 laps, depending on fuel mileage.