Thursday, April 29, 2010
Richmond Driver Chassis Selections; Lots of Phoenix Cars Returning This Week
2. Kevin Harvick: Coming off 11th top 10 in 18 starts; Won the 2006 fall race; Eighth-best average finish (12.0) in six starts with the COT; Will return in the same car (chassis No. 304) that finished 13th at Phoenix earlier this month.
3. Greg Biffle: Five consecutive top-10 finishes from fall 2004 to fall 2006 are only top 10s; 19.3 average finish in six starts with the COT; Coming off best finish with the COT in 13th; Will debut a new car (chassis No. 576) in the Crown Royal Presents the Heath Calhoun 400.
4. Matt Kenseth: Nine top-10 finishes in 20 starts; Led 192 combined laps in eight of his starts; Has finished outside the top 10 in his last five starts; 23.2 average finish in the six races with the COT; will return in the same car (chassis No. 645) that finished sixth at Phoenix earlier this month.
6. Mark Martin: Coming off four consecutive top five finishes; 4.5 average finish in two starts with Hendrick Motorsports; Fifth-best average finish (9.2) in six starts with the COT; Scored one win (1990) and 22 top 10s with Roush Racing; Will return in the same car (chassis No. 561) that finished 21st at Martinsville in March.
7. Kurt Busch: Four top 10s in eight starts with Penske Racing; Coming off third top five finish (second); Won the 2005 summer race with Roush Racing; Tied for ninth-best average finish (13.3) in six starts with the COT; Will return in the same car (chassis No. 709) that led 278 laps en route to a third-place finish at Bristol last month.
8. Dale Earnhardt Jr.: 16.8 average finish in four starts with Hendrick Motorsports; Led 90 laps en route to a fourth-place finish in the 2008 summer race; Captured three wins and nine top 10s in previous 17 starts with Dale Earnhardt, Inc; Will race the same car (chassis No. 586) that finished 12th at Phoenix earlier this month.
10. Jeff Gordon: Only driver to finish in the top 10 in all six races with the COT; Second in laps led (504) with the COT; Combined to lead 193 laps in 2009; Two-time winner with last coming in 2005.
11. Clint Bowyer: Winner of this event in 2008; Coming off fourth top 10 with a sixth-place finish; Sixth-best average finish (9.7) in six starts with the COT; Will return in the same car (chassis No. 267) that finished seventh at Martinsville last month.
12. Jeff Burton: 16.5 average finish in six starts with the COT; Third-place finish in this event last year was 14th top 10 in 31 starts; Will drive the same car (chassis No. 280) that finished 25th at Phoenix this month.
13. Carl Edwards: Last of three top 10s (seventh) came in this event in 2008; 19.2 average finish in the six races with the COT; Only laps led (15) came in the 2007 summer race before the engine expired; Will return in the same car (chassis No. 570) that finished 20th at Martinsville last October.
15. Martin Truex Jr.: Lone top 10 (fifth) came in the 2008 spring race; Finished 22nd in this event last year; Will make track debut with Michael Waltrip Racing.
16. Joey Logano: 16.5 average finish in two starts; Track best 14th-place finish in fall event last year.
17. Jamie McMurray: Three top-10 finishes in 14 starts; Track best seventh-place finish came in this event last year; 25.6 average finish; Piloting chassis No. 1007, which was last raced to a 30th-place finish at Martinsville this season.
19. Paul Menard: Only finished on lead lap in track debut in 2007; 16th-place finish in that race is best in six starts; 27.5 average finish; Bringing brand-new chassis No. 573 to Richmond.
20. Juan Pablo Montoya: Only top 10 in six starts came in this event last year with 10th-place finish; 26.3 average finish; Piloting chassis No. 909 for second time this year; This chassis last led 104 laps en route to fifth-place finish at Phoenix.
22. David Ragan: Finished third in fall of 2007 for only top-10 finish in six starts; 21.3 average finish; Bringing chassis RK-635 this weekend, which last finished 16th at Martinsville.
23. Kasey Kahne: Won from the pole in this event in 2005 after leading a race high 242 laps; Victory was first in series and is one of five top-10 finishes at track; Last top 10 came in this event in 2008; 18.0 average finish in 12 starts; Making track debut in Ford.
24. AJ Allmendinger: Has yet to finish inside top 20 in six starts; 30.2 average finish; Making track debut in Ford; Piloting chassis No. 289, which was raced to a 25th-place finish in Las Vegas this year.
25. Brian Vickers: Site of first career pole where he still holds track record of 129.983 mph set in this event in 2004 in track debut; Finished eighth in that race; Only other top 10 in 11 starts was a seventh-place finish last fall; 25.9 average finish.
26. Brad Keselowski: Finished 38th in only track start in fall of last year; Piloting the same car (chassis No. 707) that finished 13th at Bristol in March.
27. David Reutimann: Led race-high 104 laps en route to track best ninth-place finish in 2008 fall event; 20.2 average finish in six starts.
29. Elliott Sadler: Has yet to post top-five finish in 22 starts; 24.7 average finish; Best track result and only top 10 was seventh in this event in 2005 with Yates Racing; Finished 25th and 34th in first year with Richard Petty Motorsports; Driving new chassis No. 270 this weekend; Celebrating 35th birthday on Friday.
30. Marcos Ambrose: Finished track-best 11th in his debut in this event last year; Recorded 22nd-place finish in the fall.