Micah Roberts’ Top-10 Driver Ratings
The Profit on CNBC 500
Phoenix International Raceway
Sunday, March 2, 2014 - 12:16 pm (PT)
RATING DRIVER ODDS PRAC 1 QUALIFIED PRAC 2 PRAC 3
1. Kevin Harvick 8/1 19th 13th 1st 1st
Four-time winner; new chassis had fastest 10-consecutive lap averages in final practices.
2. Brad Keselowski 9/1 13th 1st 5th 20th
Finished 11th or better in past four starts; strong practice averages using brand new chassis.
3. Joey Logano 20/1 2nd 2nd 10th 8th
Third-place in 2010; has a new chassis like teammate Keselowski, should be dialed in the same.
4. Dale Earnhardt Jr. 12/1 1st 5th 4th 6th
Two-time winner, the last in 2004 - same year he last won at Daytona. Top 5s in both 2013 starts.
5. Ryan Newman 30/1 11th 15th 24th 3rd
2010 winner with five top-5 finishes past eight starts; using brand new RCR chassis this week.
6. Jimmie Johnson 5/1 15th 4th 9th 14th
Four-time winner with 6.3 average; using third-place chassis from November Phoenix race.
7. Jamie McMurray 100/1 14th 3rd 2nd 7th
Third-place in 2008, but is biggest wild card after final practices with most upside at bet window.
8. Denny Hamlin 7/1 29th 12th 14th 12th
2012 winner with 10.9 average, second best among active drivers. Third or better seven times.
9. Kyle Larson 100/1 6th 8th 3rd 2nd
Stellar practices; only thing keeping him from being rated No. 2 overall is that he’s a rookie.
10. Carl Edwards 20/1 21st 23rd 8th 10th
Two-time winner, including this race in 2013, with 12.3 average; using new chassis this week.
Note: To help good a good read what drivers may do well at Phoenix, recent results at similar flats tracks at New Hampshire and Richmond serve as a great barometer.
Odd courtesy of the LVH Super Book
Micah Roberts, a former race and sports book director in Las Vegas, has been setting NASCAR odds since 1995. For more post-practice analysis, visit the Linemakers on SportingNews.com or follow MicahRoberts7 on Twitter.