Thursday, February 15, 2018

Is Aric Almirola a live dog at 30/1 odds driving for SHR?

Aric Almirola's only Cup win came at Daytona in July, 2014. 
ARIC ALMIROLA, Driver of the No. 10 Smithfield Ford Fusion for Stewart-Haas Racing:

How do you feel going into this season with a new team? 
“I’ve been through six full seasons in the Cup Series and they’ve been average, so I’ve got a new opportunity and a new chance in my career to go out and prove what I’m capable of. I’m so excited about this opportunity with Stewart-Haas Racing and having Smithfield as the sponsor, and continuing to drive Ford Fusions. I’m so fired up about my opportunity to go out this year and perform at a high level every week.” 

You have a little history working with your new No. 10 team crew chief, John Klausmeier. Can you provide background on that relationship?
“I had the opportunity to work a lot with Johnny at Dale Earnhardt Inc. He kind of headed up the engineering group for all of the tests. We would go and test what seemed to be like every week back when you could test all the time. I’ve had a relationship with him that dates all the way back to 2007. For us to come full circle is neat, and for him to get this opportunity to be a full-time crew chief, he certainly deserves it. He’s a very smart, talented engineer and has a passion for racing. I’m excited for him as much as I’m excited about my opportunity. We get along great, we’re young, we’re like-minded people and we both enjoy similar things and each other’s company.” 

You’ve worked with Tony Stewart before. How does it feel to work with a legend and under his leadership? 
“Tony has been great to me. From the time I moved to North Carolina in 2004 – he really took me under his wing. I started driving a Late Model for Joe Gibbs Racing and he was someone that I really looked up to, and he befriended me. At 19 years old, he took me under his wing and would let me go test his Cup car with Greg Zipadelli as his crew chief. He really got me started driving the stock cars and gave me the confidence that I could do it. He believed in me and that was big for me. Through the years our friendship has really grown and, finally, we now have the opportunity to work together again. I’ve been wanting to drive for Stewart-Haas Racing for a while now. They’ve won championships and a lot of races in their short existence as a team.” 

How has the transition been for you to Stewart-Haas Racing? 
“The transition to Stewart-Haas Racing has been really easy. They have so many talented people that they just make the transition easy. Everybody from the marketing and PR side to the personnel on the shop floor and the guys on the team. It has been great. That transition has been fun. It has been easy, fun, all of the above. I have just been really looking forward to getting to the racetrack to go race. Changing teams is a big undertaking. I would say that the most challenging thing has been learning 380 employees’ names and faces. That is one of the most challenging things. Besides that, just all the little things like getting your seat right, and going and trying to work with a new team and new pedals and new seat and seat insert – all those things to make sure I am comfortable when the season starts inside the racecar.”


Smithfield Racing Team Report – Daytona Speedweeks


 Daytona is the first race weekend that Almirola will hit the track in an official capacity with the No. 10 team. However, the Smithfield team had a successful Goodyear tire test Jan. 9 and 10 at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth.

 During Daytona Speedweeks, Almirola will also compete in the NASCAR Xfinity Series. He will pilot the No. 98 Smithfield Ford Fusion for the newly merged Stewart-Haas Racing with Biagi-DenBeste team. Richard Boswell will be crew chief for the part-time Xfinity Series effort this season. Almirola’s teammate for the 120-lap event will be the team’s full-time driver Cole Custer in the No. 00 Haas Automation Ford Fusion.

 Tuesday, Feb. 13, from 2 to 4 p.m. EST, Almirola will visit Pierce Middle School in Tampa. The father of two will interact with honor roll students at a pep rally. In addition, Almirola and attendees will participate in an obstacle course, and students will take home items donated by Smithfield. The event is open to the media.

 Friday, Feb. 16, Almirola and SHR co-owner, Tony Stewart, will join Smithfield, a brand of Smithfield Foods, at the Winn-Dixie supermarket located at 1541 Nova Road in Holly Hill, Florida. The event begins at 10 a.m. EST with Almirola and Stewart helping Smithfield present a protein donation to the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida as part of the company’s 2018 Helping Hungry Homes® hunger-relief tour. The event is open to the media.

 Smithfield joined SHR this season and will be the primary partner for the majority of the season on the No. 10 Ford Fusion piloted by Almirola. Founded in 1936, Smithfield is a leading provider of high-quality pork products, with a vast product portfolio including smoked meats, hams, bacon, sausage, ribs, and a wide variety of fresh pork cuts.

- True Speed Communications

No comments: