|Will Martin Truex Jr. finally win at Kansas already......lots of drama.|
JGR's Matt Kenseth had the second fastest lap (187.617) in the final session and also had the best 10-consecutive lap average, which is a sign he's going to be very good on long runs. He doesn't have a top-five through 10 races, but he's got two wins at Kansas and it's the ideal spot for him to turn in his best run of season, maybe even win.
Because of Jimmie Johnson's Kansas history, which is the best, and also his run on 1.5-mile tracks this season -- Fontana's 2-mile speedway too -- he still remains the driver to beat and has the top overall rating.
Micah Roberts' Top-10 Rated NASCAR Drivers
Saturday, May 7, 2016 - 4:46 pm (PT)
Rating Driver Odds Practice 1 Practice 2 Qualified '16 Las Vegas*
1. Jimmie Johnson 5/1 11th 4th 15th 3rd
Three-time winner, including last spring; best 10-consecutive lap average in practice 1.
2. Martin Truex Jr. 10/1 2nd 1st 1st 11th
Two-time runner-up, led race-high 95 laps last spring and 346 laps overall in 15 starts.
3. Kyle Busch 8/1 21st 5th 6th 4th
No top-10s in first 14 starts, but top-fives in past two; won at last 1.5-mile track (Texas).
4. Matt Kenseth 8/1 10th 2nd 2nd 37th
Two-time winner, led race-high 153 laps last fall; best 10-consecutive lap average practice 2.
5. Joey Logano 8/1 14th 16th 14th 2nd
Top-five in past five starts, including wins in two of past three; still looking for first 2016 win.
6. Carl Edwards 8/1 3rd 12th 12th 18th
Considers this his home track; second-best 10.6 average finish in 17 starts -- runner-up in 2008.
7. Brad Keselowski 12/1 19th 13th 5th 1st
2011 winner. Mr. consistency: 15 straight top-10 finishes on 1.5-mile tracks ended at Texas.
8. Denny Hamlin 15/1 6th 3rd 3rd 19th
2012 winner, runner-up last fall; second-best 10-consecutive lap average in practice 2.
9. Dale Earnhardt Jr. 12/1 13th 20th 22nd 8th
No wins in 19 starts, third last spring. Runner-up in two of three races on 1.5-mile tracks in 2016.
10. Kevin Harvick 5/1 7th 30th 26th 7th
2013 winner, runner-up past two spring races. Bad news is no top-fives on three 1.5s in 2016.
* Results from March 6, 2016 Kobalt 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, a track that runs most similar to Kansas Speedway among three races on 1.5-mile tracks this season.
Odds courtesy of the Westgate SuperBook.
Micah Roberts, a former Las Vegas sports book director, has been setting NASCAR odds since 1994. Follow him on twitter @MicahRoberts7