Friday, August 1, 2014

Larson wins pole at Pocono

Sprint Cup rookie Kyle Larson has been impressive all season.

He took it one step further Friday, winning his first career at Pocono Raceway.

Larson ran a track-record speed of183.438 mph for his first Sprint Cup pole. Joey Logano, who was fastest during the first two of three rounds of qualifyng, wound up second, followed by Brad Keselowski, Kurt Busch and Jeff Gordon.

MORE: Junior relieved by crew chief move | Martin future | Hamlin safety | Pocono picks

Rounding out the top 12 were Kevin Harvick, Kyle Busch, Jamie McMurray, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Danica Patrick, Austin Dillon and Kasey Kahne. Dillon, who won the pole for the season-opening Daytona 500, is competing with Larson for Cup rookie of the year.

Logano had the fastest car throughout the first two rounds, but Larson beat him on his final lap.

"I had some butterflies before that last round," he said. "I knew we had a shot at the pole and I was nervous. I hit all three corners about as good as I could."

Logano, who has a pole and two wins this season, was surprised he lost the pole.

"I felt so good. I would have bet millions of dollars on that lap being the pole," he said. "I kept going faster and faster, and then I get beat. I sucks."

Larson, who has four top-five and nine top-10 finishes this season, finished fifth at Pocono in June. He believes he is closing in on his first Cup win.

"We are getting the cars faster and faster and we're getting better and better every week," he said. "I really think a win is coming soon."

Read More Here........Sporting News

Starting Lineup

No comments: