Micah Roberts Top 10 Driver Ratings
Good Sam RV Insurance 500
Sunday, August 7, 2011 - 10:16 am (PDT)
Rating Driver Odds Practice 1 Practice 2 Qualified Pocono 1*
1. Carl Edwards 8/1 4th 10th 4th 37th
Two-time winner; using winning Las Vegas and Darlington runner-up chassis this week.
2. Jimmie Johnson 5/1 6th 17th 18th 4th
Two-time winner with 9.3 average finish; had best 10-consecutive lap average in practice.
3. Jeff Gordon 5/1 25th 18th 31st 1st
Five-time winner with 10.3 average finish in 37 starts; finished runner-up at Indy last week.
4. Kurt Busch 10/1 2nd 15th 5th 2nd
Two-time winner and five time runner-up in 21 career starts; using new chassis this week.
5. Denny Hamlin 4/1 39th 24th 6th 19th
Four-time winner; fastest in average lap times during final practice despite slow single laps.
6. Kyle Busch 10/1 9th 11th 11th 3rd
Three top-five finishes in 13 starts, including two of last three; using new chassis this week.
7. Ryan Newman 30/1 1st 7th 12th 9th
2003 winner with 13.1 average finish in 19 starts; using car that raced at Pocono and Kentucky.
8. Kasey Kahne 30/1 15th 1st 2nd 12th
2008 winner with 16.3 average finish in 15 starts; last top-10 Pocono finish came in 2009
9. Kevin Harvick 12/1 26th 3rd 10th 5th
Has current streak of three straight top-five finishes at Pocono; using 11th-place Kansas chassis.
10. Matt Kenseth 15/1 11th 27th 20th 8th
Average finish of 14.1 in 23 starts; using car that finished sixth at Kansas and won at Dover.
* Results from the first Pocono race this season held on June 12, 2011.
Note: Last week’s Brickyard 400 can also be helpful because of the similar long straightaways and flat banking.
Odds courtesy of the Las Vegas Hilton Super Book.
Micah Roberts, a former race and sports Director, has been setting NASCAR lines in Las Vegas since 1995. For more Roberts insights and post-practice analysis on the race, go to VegasInsider.com or follow MicahRoberts7 on Twitter.