Micah Roberts Top 10 Driver Ratings
Quaker State 400
Saturday, July 9, 2011 - 4:46 pm (PDT)
Rating Driver Odds Test 1 Test 2 Practice STP 400*
1. Kurt Busch 8/1 19th 2nd 3rd 9th
Dominated Kansas race leading 152 of the 267 laps; using 14th-place Dover car.
2. Jimmie Johnson 8/1 1st 6th 5th 7th
Had his best practice of season on 1.5-mile tracks; using Michigan chassis this week.
3. Kyle Busch 8/1 4th 1st 1st 12th
Was the star of Thursday’s testing and Friday’s practice; using Kansas chassis.
4. Carl Edwards 6/1 20th 3rd 7th 5th
No one better on 1.5 and 2-mile tracks this season; using 16th-place Charlotte car.
5. Tony Stewart 12/1 28th 12th 9th 8th
Brought Las Vegas chassis that led four times for 163 laps that settled for runner-up.
6. Jeff Gordon 10/1 7th 8th 14th 4th
Has won three inaugural races: Indianapolis (1994), Fontana (1997) and Kansas (2001).
7. Matt Kenseth 8/1 17th 27th 13th 6th
Won at the higher banked 1.5-mile track at Texas; using runner-up Michigan chassis.
8. Denny Hamlin 10/1 15th 13th 26th 3rd
Changed motors and will start from the rear; strong Kansas and Michigan runs translate well.
9. Kevin Harvick 12/1 25th 36th 19th 11th
Won inaugural Nationwide series Kentucky race in 2001; using winning Michigan car from 2010.
10. Brad Keselowski 60/1 18th 31st 6th 1st
Second best 10 consecutive lap average in practice; using winning Kansas chassis.
Note: Because this is the first Cup race ever run on at Kentucky, NASCAR allowed teams to have two test sessions on Thursday prior to Friday’s scheduled practice and qualifying. Most teams used their back-up cars for the testing. Rain washed away Friday’s first practice and qualifying. Starting lineup will be set by practice speeds.
* Results from the June 5, 2011 race at Kansas are relevant this week because both 1.5-mile tracks are banked similar.
Odds courtesy of the Las Vegas Hilton Super Book.
Micah Roberts, a former race and sports Director, has been setting NASCAR lines in Las Vegas since 1995. For more Roberts insights and post-practice analysis on the race, go to VegasInsider.com or follow MicahRoberts7 on Twitter.