|Fontana gets their only race of the 2011 season this week|
· Groundbreaking for California Speedway, as Auto Club Speedway was originally known, took place in November 1995.
· The first race at Auto Club Speedway was a NASCAR K&N Pro Series, West race won by Ken Schrader on June 21, 1997.
· The first NASCAR Sprint Cup race was held on June 22, 1997 and won by Jeff Gordon.
· September 2004 was the first night race at Auto Club Speedway and that also was the first year both the NASCAR Sprint Cup and NASCAR Nationwide Series ran two races in a season there.
· The track name was changed to Auto Club Speedway in February 2008.
· There have been 21 NASCAR Sprint Cup races at Auto Club Speedway since the track opened in 1997.
· Four drivers have competed in all 21 races: Jeff Burton, Jeff Gordon, Bobby Labonte and Joe Nemechek.
· Joe Nemechek won the pole for the inaugural race in 1997.
· There have been 14 different pole winners, led by Kurt Busch (three). Brian Vickers, Jamie McMurray and Jeff Gordon each have two poles.
· Thirteen different drivers have posted victories. Jimmie Johnson leads all drivers with five wins. Jeff Gordon and Matt Kenseth each have won three races.
· Hendrick Motorsports has won nine races, more than any other team.
· Ten of the 21 races were won from starting positions outside the top 10; only one has been won from the pole (Jimmie Johnson in 2008). The most prolific starting position is third, with three victories.
· Matt Kenseth won the 2006 spring race from the 31st starting position, the deepest in the field that a race winner has started.
· Two active drivers have averaged a top-10 finish: Jimmie Johnson (5.3) and Carl Edwards (9.2).
· Kyle Busch won his first NASCAR Sprint Cup pole (2/05) and first race (9/05) at Auto Club Speedway.
· Jimmie Johnson won his first NASCAR Sprint Cup race at ASC on April 28, 2002.
Auto Club Speedway Data
Race # 5 of 36 (3-27-11)
Track Size: 2 miles
· Race Length: 200 laps/400 miles
· Banking/Corners: 14 degrees
· Banking/Frontstretch: 11 degrees
· Banking/Backstretch: 3 degrees
Driver Rating at Auto Club Speedway
Jimmie Johnson 124.2
Matt Kenseth 107.5
Mark Martin 102.5
Kyle Busch 100.7
Jeff Gordon 99.6
Carl Edwards 98.7
Tony Stewart 98.6
Greg Biffle 96.0
Kasey Kahne 93.9
Kevin Harvick 92.2
Note: Driver Rating compiled from 2005-2010 races (12 total) at Auto Club Speedway.
2010 pole winner: Jamie McMurray (183.744 mph, 39.185 seconds)
2010 race winner: Jimmie Johnson (141.911 mph, 2-21-10)
Track qualifying record: Kyle Busch (188.425 mph, 38.248 seconds, 2-25-05)
Track race record: Jeff Gordon (155.012 mph, 6-22-97)
NASCAR in California
· There have been 128 NASCAR Sprint Cup races in California.
· 419 NASCAR drivers have their home state recorded as California.
· There have been 33 race winners from California in NASCAR’s three national series. Below are those winners, and a breakdown of wins by national series.
- Compiled by Ray M. Smith, NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications
Las Vegas Hilton Super Book Odds To Win Auto Club 400