Budweiser Shootout at Daytona Tidbits
· The number of participants has ranged from a low of seven in 1981 to a high of 28 in 2009.
The drivers with the most Budweiser Shootout appearances:
* Bill Elliott (23)
* Mark Martin (21)
* Rusty Wallace (19)
* Ken Schrader (18)
* Geoffrey Bodine (16)
* Ricky Rudd (16)
* Jeff Gordon (16)
* Mark Martin had appeared in the most consecutive Budweiser Shootout races, competing in 20 consecutive events from 1989-2008. The active leader in consecutive appearances is Jeff Gordon, with 16. This year marks his 17th.
There have been seven multiple winners in the Budweiser Shootout:
* Tony Stewart has won three of the last nine (2001, 2002 and 2007).
* Dale Earnhardt won six events, most all-time.
* Dale Jarrett won in 1996, 2000 and 2004.
* Other multiple winners: Neil Bonnett (1983 and 1984), Ken Schrader, (1989 and 1990), Jeff Gordon (1994 and 1997) and Dale Earnhardt Jr. (2003 and 2008).
* Bonnett, Schrader and Stewart are the only drivers to win back-to-back races.
* Buddy Baker (1979), Dale Earnhardt (1980), Jeff Gordon (1994), Dale Jarrett (1996) and Denny Hamlin (2006) all won the first Budweiser Shootout in which they competed.
* Bill Elliott (1987)
* Dale Jarrett (1996 and 2000)
* Jeff Gordon (1997)
* There have been three winners from the pole: Darrell Waltrip (1981), Bill Elliott (1987) and Ken Schrader (1989).
Budweiser Shootout Manufacturer Recap
Manufacturer Victories Last Victory
* Chevrolet - 18 wins, last in 2009 – Kevin Harvick
* Ford - 7 wins, last in 2004 – Dale Jarrett
* Buick - 2 wins, last in 1982 – Bobby Allison
* Oldsmobile - 2 wins, last in 1980 – Dale Earnhardt
* Pontiac - 2 wins, last in 2002 – Tony Stewart
By the Numbers: Budweiser Shootout at Daytona
.08 –Margin of victory in seconds by Dale Earnhardt over Sterling Marlin in 1995, the closest margin in
1 – Laps led by Rusty Wallace (1998), Neil Bonnett (1983-84), Dale Earnhardt (1980), Dale Jarrett (2004) and Kevin Harvick (2009) in the Budweiser Shootouts they won
2.75 – Average finish by Dale Earnhardt, best by any driver with multiple starts
5 – Drivers who have won the event in their first appearance (Buddy Baker, 1979; Dale Earnhardt, 1980; Jeff Gordon, 1994; Dale Jarrett, 1996; Denny Hamlin, 2006)
14 – Number of different leaders in last season’s event, most since race began in 1979
19 –Starting position of Dale Earnhardt Jr. in 2003, the lowest starting position of a Budweiser Shootout race-winner
23 – Number of lead changes in last season’s event, highest number since race began in 1979
27 – Kevin Harvick’s starting position last season, the lowest by a race winner in the event’s history
28 – Number of participants in 2009, the largest field in the event’s history
44 – Laps led by Greg Biffle in 2005, the most by a driver who did not win the event
47 – Laps led by Dale Earnhardt Jr. in 2008, the most in a single Budweiser Shootout