|Matt Kenseth won the Sprint Unlimited last season.|
.013 - Margin of victory in seconds by Kyle Busch over Tony Stewart in 2012, the closest margin in Sprint Unlimited history
.058 - Margin of victory in seconds by Kurt Busch over Jamie McMurray in 2011, the second closest margin in Sprint Unlimited history
.08 - Margin of victory in seconds by Dale Earnhardt over Sterling Marlin in 1995, the third closest margin in Sprint Unlimited history
1 - Laps led by Rusty Wallace (1998), Neil Bonnett (1983-84), Dale Earnhardt (1980), Dale Jarrett (2000 and 2004) and Kevin Harvick (2009) in the Sprint Unlimited races they won
2.75 - Average finish by Dale Earnhardt, best by any driver with multiple starts
5 - Drivers who have won the event in their first appearance (Buddy Baker, 1979; Dale Earnhardt, 1980; Jeff Gordon, 1994; Dale Jarrett, 1996; Denny Hamlin, 2006)
6 - Number of Sprint Unlimited wins by Dale Earnhardt, the series leader
7 - Number of fewest starters in the field for the Sprint Unlimited (1981)
10 - Number of races led, the most since race began in 1979 (Dale Earnhardt Jr.)
11 - Number of starts before winning, most since race began in 1979 (Rusty Wallace and Mark Martin)
14 - Number of different leaders in the 2009 event, most since race began in 1979
20 - Number of wins by Chevrolet in the Sprint Unlimited, leads all manufacturers
21 - Most consecutive starts in the Sprint Unlimited by Jeff Gordon (1994-2014).
27 - Kevin Harvick's starting position in 2009, the lowest by a race winner in the event's history
28 - Number of lead changes in the 2011 event, highest number since race began in 1979
44 - Laps led by Greg Biffle in 2005, the most by a driver who did not win the event
47 - Laps led by Dale Earnhardt Jr. in 2008, the most in a single Sprint Unlimited was the 2013 event won by Kyle Busch.
197.802 mph - The fastest average speed of the race for the Sprint Unlimited was in 1987 won by Bill Elliott.
The Sprint Unlimited Tidbits
- The number of participants has ranged from a low of seven in 1981 to a high of 28 in 2009 (25 are eligible for this year's event).
- The drivers with the most Sprint Unlimited appearances:
o Mark Martin (24) o Bill Elliott (23) o Jeff Gordon (21) o Ken Schrader (19) o Rusty Wallace (19) - Jeff Gordon has appeared in the most consecutive Sprint Unlimited races, competing in 21 consecutive events from 1994-2014.
- There have been nine multiple winners in the Sprint Unlimited:
o Dale Earnhardt won six events, most all-time (1980, 1986, 1988, 1991, 1993, 1995).
o Dale Jarrett won in 1996, 2000 and 2004.
o Kevin Harvick won in 2009, 2010 and 2013.
o Tony Stewart won in 2001, 2002 and 2007.
o Other multiple winners: Neil Bonnett (1983-1984), Ken Schrader, (1989-1990), Jeff Gordon (1994 and 1997), Dale Earnhardt Jr. (2003 and 2008) and Denny Hamlin (2006 and 2014).
o Bonnett, Schrader, Stewart and Harvick are the only drivers to win back-to-back Sprint Unlimited races. No driver has won three consecutive Sprint Unlimited events.
- Buddy Baker (1979, the first race for the event), Dale Earnhardt (1980), Jeff Gordon (1994), Dale Jarrett (1996) and Denny Hamlin (2006) all won the first Sprint Unlimited in which they competed.
- Only five times in the 32-year history of the race has the winner gone on to win the Daytona 500:
o Bobby Allison (1982)
o Bill Elliott (1987)
o Dale Jarrett (1996 and 2000)
o Jeff Gordon (1997)
- There have been four winners from the pole: Darrell Waltrip (1981), Bill Elliott (1987), Ken Schrader (1989) and Denny Hamlin (2014).
- Two drivers have swept the Sprint Unlimited, Daytona 500 pole and Daytona 500 from 1979-2014: Dale Jarrett (2000) and Bill Elliott (1987).
The Sprint Unlimited Tidbits II
- One driver has swept the Sprint Unlimited, Daytona 500 and the Coke Zero 400 from 1979-2014: Bobby Allison (1982).
- Seven drivers have won the Sprint Unlimited (1979-2014) and the championship in the same season. Dale Earnhardt is the only one to have accomplished it multiple times (four times):
Tony Stewart (2002)
Jeff Gordon (1997)
Dale Earnhardt (1993, 1991, 1986, 1982)
- Four drivers have won consecutive Sprint Unlimited races (1979-2014). None went on to win that year's Daytona 500.
Kevin Harvick (2009-10)
Tony Stewart (2000-01)
Ken Schrader (1990-91)
Neil Bonnett (1983-84)
- The format for The Sprint Unlimited has changed 13 times since its inception into the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in 1979.
- Danica Patrick is the only female driver to have competed in the Sprint Unlimited (1979 - 2014) - she started 12th and finished 16th last season.
The Sprint Unlimited Manufacturer Recap
Manufacturer, Victories, Last Victory - Driver Chevrolet, 20, 2013 - Kevin Harvick(a)
Ford, 7, 2004 - Dale Jarrett
Toyota, 3, 2015 - Matt Kenseth(a)
Buick, 2, 1982 - Bobby Allison
Oldsmobile, 2, 1980 - Dale Earnhardt
Pontiac, 2, 2002 - Tony Stewart(a)
Dodge, 1, 2011 - Kurt Busch(a)
(a) = active driver
* 2015 season 14 Chevrolets, six Toyotas and five Fords are entered into the Sprint Unlimited.