Friday, November 1, 2013

Carl Edwards on Pole for AAA Texas 500, Truex Jr. fastest on practice

Carl Edwards finds speed on a track he knows how to go fast on
FORT WORTH, Texas — Jimmie Johnson and Matt Kenseth, tied atop the Sprint Cup Series standings, should expect to see a lot of each other Sunday at Texas Motor Speedway.

Johnson, who grazed the wall on his qualifying lap Friday afternoon, will start third and Kenseth will start sixth when they take the green flag for the AAA Texas 500.

“I hate to admit it but at one point, I think I had my eyes shut because I knew there was going to be contact, I just didn’t know how much,” Johnson said.

“I just grazed the wall and scratched the sticker for the bumper cover and taillight on the back of the car. … (The lap) shows our car has a lot of speed in it.”

Carl Edwards, 10th in the Cup standings, won the pole with a lap of 196.114 mph and will be joined on the front row by defending Cup champion Brad Keselowski (196.100), who failed to make the Chase this year.

Johnson (195.943) and Paul Menard (195.837) will make up the second row while Kyle Busch (195.780), who is fifth in the standings at 36 points behind, will start fifth next to Kenseth (195.518) in the third row.

“It’s just a starting spot, but I do feel like my car drove pretty good,” Kenseth said. “You can only control what we do and you can only drive your own car so you can’t really control what anybody else does.

“I feel like that was OK. … I’m fairly satisfied with that.”

Read More Here....Sporting News


No comments: