The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series 2013 Top 12 at Michigan International Speedway
|Driver||Races||Poles||Wins||Top Fives||Top 10s||DNFs||Average Finish||Driver Rating|
|6||Dale Earnhardt Jr.||28||2||2||6||10||3||15.6||97.5|
|10||Martin Truex Jr.||15||0||0||3||5||0||15.7||85.0|
* – Based on last 17 races at Michigan International Speedway.
|Pos||Driver||Wins||Pts Pos||Points||Pts From 10th||Starts||Poles||T5s||T10s||DNFs|
|10||Ricky Stenhouse Jr. #||0||20||531||-94||22||0||0||0||0|
The top-10 drivers will make the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup. Positions 11 and 12 in the 12-driver Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup are Wild Cards, and will go to drivers outside the top 10 with the most wins, as long as they are ranked in the top 20 in points. If multiple drivers outside the top 10 tie for wins, the tie-breaker will go to the race winner with the highest points position.
|Greg Biffle has four career wins at Michigan, including June race|
At Michigan International Speedway:
· Michigan International Speedway sits on more than 1,400 acres in the "Irish Hills" of Southeastern Michigan. Ground-breaking took place on Sept. 28, 1967.
· The first NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Michigan was held June 15, 1969 – won by Cale Yarborough at a speed of 139.254 mph.
· The track was known as Michigan Speedway during the time Roger Penske was the primary owner (1996-99).
· The 2-mile speedway underwent a repave in 2012.
· There have been 88 NASCAR Sprint Cup races at Michigan International Speedway since the first race there in 1969. Other than 1973, which had just one race, there have been two races each season since 1969.
· The first race was 500 miles in length; the second was scheduled for 600. The track was re-measured to 2.04 miles for the last race in 1970 and both races in 1971 – with the race distance being 402 miles. All other races have been scheduled for 400 miles.
· 365 drivers have competed in at least one NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Michigan International Speedway; 267 in more than one.
· Bill Elliott leads the series in starts at Michigan with 61. Terry Labonte and Mark Martin lead all active drivers with 55 starts each.
· Donnie Allison won the inaugural Coors Light pole at Michigan in 1969 with a speed of 160.135 mph.
· 44 drivers have Coors Light poles at Michigan, led by David Pearson with 10. Bill Elliott leads all active drivers with six; followed by Jeff Gordon with five.
· Six drivers have won consecutive Coors Light poles at Michigan. David Pearson holds the record for most consecutive poles at Michigan with five; fall 1976 through 1978.
· Four active drivers have posted consecutive Coors Light poles at Michigan: Terry Labonte (1983 sweep), Bill Elliott (1984 sweep and 1988 sweep), Bobby Labonte (2003 sweep), and Brian Vickers (fall 2008 – 2009 sweep).
· Youngest Michigan pole winner: Jeff Gordon (08/18/1995 – 23 years, 10 months, 14 days).
· Oldest Michigan pole winner: Mark Martin (08/19/2012 – 53 years, 7 months, 10 days).
· 34 different NSCS drivers have won at Michigan International Speedway, led by David Pearson with nine wins. Bill Elliott leads all active drivers with seven; followed by Mark Martin with five.
· Eight drivers have posted consecutive wins at Michigan International Speedway, including four consecutive by Bill Elliott (1985 sweep and 1986 sweep).
· Youngest Michigan winner: Kurt Busch (6/15/2003 – 24 years, 10 months, 11 days).
· Oldest Michigan winner: Harry Gant (8/16/1992 – 52 years, 7 months, 6 days).
· Roush Fenway Racing has the most wins at Michigan in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series with 13: Mark Martin (four), Greg Biffle (four), Carl Edwards (two), Matt Kenseth (two) and Kurt Busch (one).
· Eight different manufacturers have won in the NSCS at Michigan; led by Ford with 33 victories; followed by Chevrolet with 20.
· 16 of the 88 (18.1%) NASCAR Sprint Cup races at Michigan have been won from the Coors Light pole; the most recent was Brian Vickers in 2009.
· The Coors Light pole position is the most proficient starting position in the field, producing more winners (16) than any other starting position at Michigan International Speedway.
· 24 of the 88 (27.2%) NASCAR Sprint Cup races at Michigan have been won from the front row: 16 from the pole and eight from second place.
· 66 of the 88 (75%) NASCAR Sprint Cup races at Michigan have been won from a top-10 starting position.
· Six of the 88 (6.8%) NASCAR Sprint Cup races at Michigan have been won from a starting position outside the top 20.
· The deepest in the field that a race winner has started at Michigan was 32nd, by Mark Martin in the spring of 2009.
· Jeff Gordon leads the series in runner-up finishes at Michigan with eight; followed by Darrell Waltrip with seven.
· NASCAR Hall of Famer Cale Yarborough leads the series in top-five finishes at Michigan with 21; Jeff Gordon and Mark Martin lead all active drivers with 18 each.
· Mark Martin leads the series in top-10 finishes at Michigan with 31; followed by Bill Elliott with 29.
· Jimmie Johnson leads all active drivers in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in average starting position at Michigan with a 9.565.
· Carl Edwards leads all active drivers in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in average finishing position at Michigan with an 8.222. Matt Kenseth (9.429) is the only other active driver with an average finish in the top 10.
· All 16 active NASCAR Sprint Cup winners at Michigan International Speedway participated in at least one or more races before visiting Victory Lane. Tony Stewart won at Michigan in his third appearance, the fewest previous starts among the active NSCS winners.
· Kevin Harvick competed at Michigan International Speedway 19 times before winning in the fall of 2010; the longest span of any the 16 active NASCAR Sprint Cup Series winners.
· Among the 16 active NSCS Michigan winners Kevin Harvick (19), Dale Earnhardt Jr. (17) Kyle Busch (13), Bill Elliott (13), Jeff Gordon (11) and Brian Vickers (11) all made 10 or more attempts before their first win.
· Terry Labonte leads the series among active drivers with the most NASCAR Sprint Cup starts at Michigan without visiting Victory Lane at 55.
· Since the advent of electronic scoring the closest margin of victory (MOV) in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Michigan International Speedway was the June 10, 2001 race won by Jeff Gordon over Ricky Rudd with a MOV of 0.085 second.
· There have been two NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races resulting with a green-white-checkered finish at Michigan International Speedway (Scheduled No. of Laps/Actual No. of Laps): fall of 2011 (200/203); and fall of 2012 (200/201).
· Four of the 88 NASCAR Sprint Cup races at Michigan International Speedway have been shortened due to weather conditions; the most recent was the event on 6/18/2006.
· Qualifying has been cancelled due to weather conditions in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Michigan International Speedway four times; most recently the spring of 2008 race.
· Three drivers have posted their first career NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light pole at Michigan International Speedway: Jeff Burton (8/18/1996), J.J. Yeley (6/17/2007) and Marcos Ambrose (6/17/2012).
· Two active NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver have posted their first career start at Michigan International Speedway: Carl Edwards (8/22/2004) and Landon Cassill (6/13/2010).
· Bill Elliott leads all active drivers in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in laps led at Michigan with 1,004 laps led in 61 starts. Jeff Gordon has led the second-most with 954.
· Four female drivers have competed at Michigan International Speedway in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series: Janet Guthrie, Robin McCall, Shawna Robinson and Danica Patrick.
Michigan International Speedway Data
Season Race #: 23 of 36 (8-18-13)
Track Size: 2-miles
Banking/Turn 1 & 2: 18 degrees
Banking/Turn 3 & 4: 18 degrees
Banking/Frontstretch: 5 degrees
Banking/Backstretch: 2 degrees
Frontstretch Length: 3,600 feet
Backstretch Length: 2,242 feet
Race Length: 200 laps / 400 miles
Top 12 Driver Rating at Michigan
Greg Biffle................................ 110.0
Matt Kenseth............................ 106.0
Carl Edwards............................ 105.1
Jimmie Johnson........................ 104.0
Dale Earnhardt Jr....................... 97.5
Tony Stewart.............................. 95.9
Kyle Busch................................. 93.1
Brian Vickers.............................. 91.5
Denny Hamlin............................. 91.1
Jeff Gordon................................ 90.7
Kasey Kahne.............................. 89.0
Kurt Busch................................. 87.7
Note: Driver Ratings compiled from 2005-2013 races (17 total) among active drivers at Michigan International Speedway.
2012 pole winner: Mark Martin, Toyota, 199.706 mph, 36.053 secs. 08-17-12
2012 race winner: Greg Biffle, Ford, 144.662 mph, (02:46:44), 08-19-12
Track qualifying record: Marcos Ambrose, Ford, 203,241 mph, 35.426 secs. 06-15-12
Track race record: Dale Jarrett, Ford, 173.997 mph, (2:17:56), 06-13-99
NASCAR in Michigan
· There have been 93 NASCAR Sprint Cup races in Michigan.
Michigan International Speedway
Grand River Speedrome
Michigan State Fairgrounds
· 98 drivers in NASCAR national series history have their home state recorded as Michigan.