Micah Roberts Top 10 Driver Ratings
NASCAR All-Star Race
Charlotte Motor Speedway
Saturday, March 21, 2011 - 4:30 pm (PDT)
Rating Driver Odds Practice Qualified Las Vegas* Texas*
1. Carl Edwards 7/1 2nd 4th 1st 3rd
Two top-five finishes in five starts, class of the field on 1.5-mile tracks in 2011.
2. Matt Kenseth 10/1 18th 13th 11th 1st
2004 winner with 6.6 average finish in last 10 races; using brand new chassis.
3. Tony Stewart 12/1 13th 6th 2nd 12th
2009 winner with four straight top-five finishes; gets high mark for great Vegas run.
4. Kyle Busch 7/1 1st 1st 38th 16th
Second best 10 consecutive average lap times in practice; using runner-up Phoenix chassis.
5. Kasey Kahne 12/1 4th 7th 10th 21st
2008 winner who also won three points races at Charlotte; his best type of track.
6. Kevin Harvick 10/1 11th 14th 17th 20th
2007 winner and 2006 runner-up; will be using a brand new chassis this week.
7. Greg Biffle 12/1 5th 3rd 16th 4th
Runner-up in 2008, his only top-five finish in seven starts; strong run at Texas.
8. Clint Bowyer 12/1 3rd 2nd 15th 2nd
Only two appearances with an average finish of 15th. Using seventh-place Fontana car.
9. Jimmie Johnson 7/1 7th 11th 16th 8th
Two-time winner, the last coming in 2006; leads active drivers with six Charlotte point race wins.
10. Marcos Ambrose 12/1** 5th DNQ 4th 6th
Second best average finish on 1.5-mile tracks in 2011. Top average speeds in practice.
Note: All-Star race format consists of only 21 drivers with the race broken into four segments consisting of 50, 20, 20 and 10 lap runs. No points are awarded, only $1 million in cash to winner.
* Results from the March 6, 2011 race at Las Vegas and April 9, 2011 race at Texas, the most similar tracks run at this year to Charlotte‘s 1.5-mile high banked facility.
** Ambrose will have to qualify for the All-Star race by either finishing in the top two of the Sprint Showdown or by winning the fan vote.
Odds courtesy of the Las Vegas Hilton Super Book.
Micah Roberts, a former race and sports Director, has been setting NASCAR lines in Las Vegas since 1995. For more Roberts insights and post-practice analysis on the race, go to VegasInsider.com.
All-Star Race Starting Lineup