Saturday, February 19, 2011
Daytona 500 Driver Ratings Following All Practice Sessions
Each week I will provide an analysis of my top rated drivers on how well they will do in the race based on the following criteria:
• Practice sessions leading up to the weekend’s Sprint Cup race
• Chassis information on what was brought to each track by each team, good or bad
• Driver tendencies at certain tracks
• Recent and overall histories for each driver at each track
• Decipher poor past results with what really happened, good car -- or bad luck?
These final ratings should help assist in final betting strategies with the Las Vegas books or match-up and prop plays, as well as help in NASCAR fantasy leagues.
Micah Roberts Top 10 Driver Ratings
Daytona International Speedway
Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 10:15 am (PDT)
Practice Practice Final Duel
Rating Driver Odds 3 or 4* 5 or 6* Practice Results
1. Jeff Burton 12/1 20th 1st 2nd 1st
One career win at Daytona in 2001; stood out the most throughout Daytona speedweeks.
2. Kevin Harvick 7/1 9th DNP 21st 3rd
2007 Daytona 500 winner; won two of the four restrictor plate races in 2009.
3. Kurt Busch 10/1 12th 8th 5th 1st
Won the Bud Shootout and Gatorade Duel; no driver has ever completed the triple.
4. Clint Bowyer 12/1 22nd DNP 1st 2nd
Average Daytona 500 finish in 5 starts of 11.8 is best among all current drivers.
5. Jeff Gordon 10/1 3rd DNP DNP 12th
Three Daytona 500 wins, tied for third all-time. Also holds record for most plate wins.
6. Kyle Busch 8/1 1st DNP 16th 4th
One career win at Daytona in 2008; finished 14th and 41st in the last two Daytona 500’s.
7. Jamie McMurray 12/1 8th DNP 13th 6th
Won 2010 Daytona 500; three of his six career wins have come in plate races.
8. Matt Kenseth 25/1 6th 5th 30th 4th
2009 Daytona 500 winner; had the most consistent speedweeks of all the Ford drivers.
9. Kasey Kahne 25/1 1st 3rd 11th 5th
17.6 average finish in 14 Daytona starts; runner-up in 2010 Daytona summer race.
10. Dale Earnhardt Jr 12/1 3rd 10th 25th 13th
2004 Daytona 500 winner, runner-up last year. Average finish of 14.4 in 22 Daytona starts.
* The drivers best listed time on that day of practice combining the two sessions.
Note: Practice 1 and 2 were used primarily for qualifying set-up making it fairly irrelevant in the ratings equation.
Odds courtesy of the Las Vegas Hilton Super Book.