Saturday, August 21, 2010

Jeff Gordon Q & A: Talking About The Chase Friday Following Practice

LOOKING AHEAD TO THE RACE AND TRYING TO PICK A FAVORITE THIS YEAR, SHOULD PEOPLE BE LOOKING AT JIMMIE JOHNSON’S OBVIOUS SUCCESS OVER THE PAST FOUR YEARS? OR SHOULD THEY BE LOOKING AT GUYS LIKE KEVIN HARVICK AND YOU, WHO HAS SHOWN CONSISTENCY THIS YEAR BUILDING TOWARD THE START OF THE CHASE?
“Well, I don’t think you can ever count the No. 48 (Jimmie Johnson) out. Until they show a weakness, how can you count them out? What I mean by that is we’ve seen them through the last four years show weaknesses at times during the season, but they always seem to rebound when it really counts and comes down to that Chase. They step it up in a way that you can’t compete with. And so, until they don’t do that, you’ve got to keep them as a favorite.
“But as far as who has momentum and seems to be the strongest in my opinion right now, I would definitely say the No. 29 (Kevin Harvick). I think especially that win last week (at Michigan); restrictor plate wins are one thing but to go and win at Michigan when those big fast tracks like that are tracks that you’re going to have to be competitive at in the Chase, plus the bonus points they have and the fact that they’ve been consistent. I think that (Richard) Childress has really stepped it up, especially with Kevin and that No. 29 team. I think that last weekend they kind of solidified themselves as the favorite in my opinion.”

IN THE LAST SIX RACES THE BEST AVERAGE FINISH HAS BEEN CARL EDWARDS, BUT HE’S ONLY LED SIX LAPS ALL YEAR. IS THIS THE YEAR THAT SOMEBODY WINS THE CHAMPIONSHIP WITHOUT WINNING A RACE? CAN SOMEBODY DO THAT?
“I’ve always said that there’s no doubt that you can win it without winning races. The problem that I see right now is when they start the Chase, guys that haven’t won a race are going to be at least 50 points down to start the Chase. And you’re talking about the No. 48 (Johnson) to the No. 11 (Denny Hamlin), the No. 29 (Harvick) has 3 or 30; those are hard numbers to overcome. So I think the only way you can overcome those is you’re going to have to win in the Chase. So I think there’s no doubt it can be done. It’s very competitive out there right now.
“Consistency is still key but I’m almost wondering right now if it’s more important to win during the regular season than it is in the Chase. Get the bonus points to get yourself seeded where you really need to, to get that advantage going into the Chase and then knock-out your top five’s throughout the Chase and win it that way. But you’ve still got to win. So I think you need to win. I don’t think you need to win, I think the guy who wins the championship is going to at least have one win this season and more than likely in the Chase.”

No comments: